Buarbreen Glacier Vandring
Get up close with the Folgefonna Glacier
- Destinasjon: Hardanger
- Sesong: juni-september
- Vanskelighetsgrad: Middels
- Lengde: 5.4 kilometer (tur/retur)
- Stigning: 420 meter
- Varighet: 3-4 timer
Om Buarbreen Glacier
The trail up to Buarbreen Glacier is one of the most popular hikes in the Hardangerfjord region and definitely one you should do in this area. The views of the glacier itself are spectacular, but just as beautiful are the views along the way.
The farm by the trailhead is charming with chickens, cats, cows, horses, and pigs. Up along the valley you have views of the glacier and the surrounding valley and mountains.
From Odda drive south along road 13 towards Låtefossen. As you reach Sandvevatnet Lake, look for a yellow sign towards «Buer». Take a right here along Jordalsvegen. Continue past Odda Camping and just after the campsite bear left along the lake.
The road then runs through a small residential area before heading up the valley. Continue up the gravel road until you reach the parking lot.
From the first parking lot walk along the gravel road going past the farm. Make sure you close all gates as you pass through the farm area. On the other side of the farm, the trail continues along the river for about 150 meters before it enters the forest.
Continue up along the trail as it ascends up towards Buarbreen Glacier. You will have views of the forest all along the trail.
You will need to cross several rivers and most of the bridges are metal bridges that are easy to get across. However, one bridge is a suspension bridge and crossing it could be a bit scary for some.
After the suspension bridge, you will need to ascend some steep sections. The steepest sections have ropes to hold on to, but if the ground is wet this part of the trail can be quite tough.
Eventually, you reach the end of the trail with nice views of the glacier and the valley behind you.
- Stay far away from the edge of the glacier. Ice may break off and can be very dangerous.
- There is a pretty big parking lot at the trailhead so you don’t have to worry about there being enough space for your car. If the first parking lot is full, continue past the farm and park at the much bigger parking lot on the other side of the farm.
- Parking costs 150 NOK and you need to pay by credit card at the automatic gate when you leave.
- Toilets are available at the extra parking lot behind the farm.
- At the end of the trail, you will see a small hut. The hut itself is closed, but you can enter into the first room if you need a place to change or warm up.
Questions or comments? Let us know.
Se flere populære opplevelser