Wedgemount Lake Vandring
Spectacular alpine scenery
- Destinasjon: Whistler
- Sesong: juni-september
- Vanskelighetsgrad: Ekspert
- Lengde: 10.4 kilometer (tur/retur)
- Stigning: 1,180 meter
- Varighet: 6-8 timer
Om Wedgemount Lake
The hike up to Wedgemount Lake in Garibaldi Provincial Park is by no means easy. It is a brutal hike ascending more than 1200 meters in only 5.5 kilometers. However, the view when you get up will make it all worth it.
This turquoise lake is a beautiful place surrounded by an spectacular alpine scenery. In the western end of the lake you can stop at the Wedge hut. If the weather is good sit outside and enjoy the views of the lake and Wedge Mountain. If the weather is turning bad head inside to warm up a bit before you continue your hike.
Head over to the eastern end of the lake to get some great views of Wedg Glacier.
From Whistler head north on the Sea to Sky Highway. About 12 kilometers north of Whistler you will see a sign for "Garibaldi Wedgemount". Take a right here, cross the railway tracks and then take the bridge to the other side of the river.
On the other side of the bridge take a left up a gravel road towards the trailhead. Drive for another 200 meters and then take a right when the road forks out. Follow this gravel road for another 2 kilometers up to the trailhead.
The trail up to Wedgemount Lake is basically a long uphill battle throughout the forest. From the parking lot go immediately across the Wedgemount Creek and continue uphill. The first section of the trail is following a new route, but it is easy to follow. After about a kilometer the trail rejoins the original trail.
Continue up the Wedge Creek drainage until the trail emerges from the forest. This is a good place for a rest before you head up the last and steepest section of the trail. At this point, you also get good views across the valley.
On this last section, you will need to scramble your way up to the top. The trail is easy to find, although there are no trail markers. Be careful as you climb up throughout the scree field and make sure no rocks come sliding from up above.
As you reach the top you get views of the lake and all the surrounding peaks. Follow the trail to Wedge Hut and optionally also to the eastern side of the lake for better views of the glaciers.
- Dogs not allowed
- All drinking waters must be filtered, boiled or otherwise treated before consumption
- Expect to see no cell service on this trail
- If you head for the glaciers on the eastern side, always make sure you are on a good distance as ice may break off.
- Remember to bring some warm clothes as the temperature will be much lower up by the lake than by the trailhead.
- You can find pit toilets at the parking lot and one a few hundred meters from Wedge Hut.
- Free parking
- All around the lake you can find about 20 tent platforms if you want to stay overnight
- There is room for 6 people at the Wedge Hut, but there is no reservations system so it could be full
Questions or comments? Let us know.
Se flere populære opplevelser