Download this guide, including all hiking trails and maps, in the Outtt app.
The Gjende area is a popular entry point for adventures on the eastern side of Jotunheimen National Park. Gjende is a small detour along Norwegian Scenic Route Valdresflye.
There are several short hikes available to and from the dock at Gjendesheim, all with views of Gjende Lake. You can even take a boat trip on the lake for a visit to Memurubu in the heart of Jotunheimen.
Besseggen Ridge is easily the most famous hike in the area. Besseggen is a demanding, full-day hike and requires some preparation and advance planning. Due to its popularity with Norwegians and tourists alike, it can often be a busy trail throughout the summer.
To avoid the crowds, or to find your next challenge, consider one of the other longer hikes in the area.
- Find boat schedules and book tickets with Gjendebåtene
- Find parking information at Besseggen 1743
- The kiosk by the dock is open from 8am to 6pm Sunday-Thursday, and 8am to 9pm Friday and Saturday in the high season
- There are toilets by the long-term parking lot at Reinsvangen and by the dock
- Stay at Gjendesheim Lodge, Memurubu Lodge, Maurvangen Camping, Hindsæter Hotel, or Bygdin Hotel.