Open this adventure in the app to save it offline.
The most famous person from Vang in ancient times, is knight Sigvat of Leirholar (1270-1340). He was also called Sigvat Kvien because he also owned the farm Kvien. Sigvat was the governor under the King, for Valdres and Hallingdal. He was also in King Haakon the 5th Magnusson's advisory in the early part of the 1300s.
We have two vivid memories after the knight on Leirhol. In northern Leirhol the Riddarstøga house still stands, where the 2. floor from about the year 1300 is said to have been built by Sigvat. The 1st floor is from between 11 to 1200's, and was originally a hearth-room. Riddarstøga was one of the first residential houses with two floors in Norway. Sigvat's coat of arms was in 1987 approved as the municipal coat of arms for Vang.
Riddarstøga is now a farm museum (guided tour by appointment).
On the farm, about 600 meters further west, lies a great mound. It is dated to approximately 400 years after Christ. The grave by Leirhol has a distinct stone coffin which you can see because the mound is excavated and open to the public. The grave is a double male / female tomb, and inside the grave 100 beads and 26 black and white game pieces were found. There is a clearly marked path down to the mound from fv 293.
Getting there: From E16 by Hemsing bridge, take off and drive fv 293 towards Vennis to the farm Leirhol on the north side of Vangsmjøsa.