Slidredomen Cultural Heritage

  • Øst- og sørveggen

    Øst- og sørveggen Photo: Dag Nordsveen

  • Østveggen

    Østveggen Photo: Dag Nordsveen

  • Gammel og ny vindusåpning

    Gammel og ny vindusåpning Photo: Dag Nordsveen

  • Støpul på haugen øst for kirka

    Støpul på haugen øst for kirka Photo: Dag Nordsveen

Essential info

  • Destination: Valdres
  • Season: April-November

About Slidredomen

Slidredomen (Slidre Church) is the old principal parish church in Valdres, dating back to the 1200s. In medieval times, this was where you would find the Dean, the most important local representative for the bishop in Stavanger. The church was mentioned in writing for first time the in a letter from the pope in 1264, and it was then referred to as «ecclesia Sancte Marie de Slidrum». It also features the inscription «Maria» in runic letters. The church is built in the Romanesque style with round arches. Walls are 160-210 cm thick and made of local stone with soapstone corners. The church has a rectangular nave and a narrower straight closed choir. High on the south wall two original windows. The south-facing main entrance is equipped with medieval fittings in wrought iron and a measuring stick. A cross has been engraved into the stone frame, and the door opening features a labyrinth. Traces of five consecration crosses can be found in the church, and the northern wall of the nave has a painted coat-of-arms from around 1330-1350. Today this is the municipality coat of arms for Vestre Slidre. On the eastern wall of the choir is an impressive lime painting from the 1400s. It shows the apostles, an illustration of the ascension and, at the very top, a blessing or coronation amid angles with musical instruments. The choir’s roof painting dates back to around 1250, and shows Christ surrounded by the evangelist symbols. Slidredomen has a unique altar chalice which is still in use, and which was probably made during the period 1325-1350. Salomon, the bishop of Oslo from 1322-1351, was the vicar of Slidre in 1298. He donated the chalice to his old church as a thank you for surviving the Black Death in 1350. The altarpiece, pulpit and choir partition were painted in 1797 and 1798. In the olden days, Slidredomen had «12 bells ringing in perfect harmony». Today, the church has 4 bells in the turret and 2 bells in the belfry. The belfry is dated 1679 and 1798. Getting there by car: From Fagernes followed E16 westwards to Vestre Slidre municipality. Right after the sign with Einangsundet, turn right onto the old country road. Slidre church sits on a hill on the northeast side of the lake Slidrefjord and at the local center. The main road goes down by the lake. The old pilgrim route from Hedalen Stave Church to the St.Thomas Church at Filefjell has now been reopened and way-marked. Walking the approx.162 km long route will take 7-8 days. The road leads past the stave churches in Hedalen, Reinli, Lomen, Høre and Øye, as well as the stone churches from medieval times in Ulnes, Mo and Slidre. You can join organized tours each summer, or walk by yourself.


Questions or comments? Let us know.

Download trail descriptions, maps, and guides in the Outtt app.

Nearby adventures

Padletur på Slidrefjorden


9.6 km



Hiking Trail
2 km · 2 – 2.5 hr

Mo kyrkjeruin


Cultural Heritage



Hiking Trail
3 km · 2 – 2.5 hr

Last updated: