Movatnet Lake Hiking Trail
Take an easy stroll from Steinsdalsfossen Waterfall
- Destination: Hardanger
- Season: March-November
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 4.5 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 20 meters
- Duration: 0.5-1.5 hours
About Movatnet Lake
If you are already visiting Steinsdalsfossen Waterfall or if you fancy an easy stroll by a lake in Hardanger then taking the trail along Movatnet Lake is a good alternative. Along the trail, you will have nice views of the Folgefonna Glacier.
If you feel like a ride instead, rent a bike by the waterfall.
Park your car by Steinsdalsfossen along road 49. From Norheimsund drive westbound towards Bergen and you will see the parking lot on your right-hand side after about 2.5 kilometers.
From the bridge by the waterfall, follow the road past the souvenir shops and take a right onto Fjærabygda road. Follow this road past some farmhouses until the road forks right by the end of Movatnet Lake. Take a right here and follow the trail along the lake. You will pass through three gates before you reach Sundsvik road on the eastern side of the lake. Return the same way back to the waterfall.
- You could also hike this from Norheimsund and visit Steinsdalsfossen that way.
- It is also possible to rent a bike at the parking lot and bike around Movatnet Lake. One bike costs 200 NOK for a day.
- Toilets are available at the parking lot
Questions or comments? Let us know.