Toftemo to Trolltun Cycling
Discover a historical route
- Season: June-October
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 15.9 kilometers (point‑to‑point)
- Elevation Gain: 440 meters
- Duration: 3-4 hours
About Toftemo to Trolltun
Follow the footsteps of pilgrims and royalties as you cycle from Toftemo Lodge in Gudbrandsdalen Valley to Trolltun Lodge in Dombås, a stretch of the old main road to Nidaros (today’s Trondheim). You will experience sweeping views of the luscious Gudbrandsdalen Valley along the way.
Although this leg is only 15 kilometers long, it is tough as it ascends gradually from Toftemo to Trolltun, the total elevation gain being 330 meters.
If you go by car from Oslo, you can follow the road E6 north and it will take you about 4,5 hours to reach Toftemo. From Trondheim it's approximately 3 hours on the road E6 heading south. While from Bergen it takes from 8 to 9 hours depending on which road you take.
You can get to Toftemo by bus or trail from Oslo, Trondheim or Bergen. Getting there from Oslo takes about 5 hours, from Trondheim it takes about 4 hours and from Bergen it takes about 11 hours. Follow the link for options on how you can travel by public transportation to Toftemo.
From Toftemo follow the cycle path along road E6 towards Otta. After 350 meters the path turns into a road going up to Dovre Church. Once at the church, follow the road around the churchyard. Soon after leaving the churchyard, the road turns into a gravel road.
The gravel road travels underneath the railway. At the other side of the railway, you get to a road junction where you should take a left towards Dombås. After 280 meters take another left across the bridge towards Budsfjord. This is the same trail junction as you crossed the day before if you are cycling the entire Tour de Dovre.
After 2.7 kilometers you will go past a farm where they sell antiques, coffee, and cakes on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 11 am to 4 pm.
The next 5 kilometers you will have excellent views of Gudbrandsdalen Valley before crossing the railway once more. Continue down the road towards the main road E6 again. Once you get down to the main road, follow the cycle path towards Dombås. Continue until the next road junction with an old worn-out speed limit sign and take a right here up to Dombås train station.
Continue straight ahead until you get to Holum Sport (sporting goods store) on your right-hand side and go past the yellow house. Follow the road up between the yellow house and the brown house before continuing on the cycle path going underneath the main E6 road. Cycle over the bridge that crosses the railway line, then underneath the next railway line. Continue until you meet the main road again. Cross the road and follow the road up on the other side, taking you to Trolltun.
- Close to Toftemo is St Olav’s Well. The water from the well was said to have a healing effect on children. Pilgrims on their way to Trondheim used to drink from the well, hoping that the holy water would give them the strength they needed to complete the journey across the mountain plateau. So, if you need a little extra energy for the final leg, this is the place to fill up your water bottle.
Where to stay
- Since its opening in 1820, Toftemo Coaching Station has housed royalty, pilgrims, and wanderers on their way to the pilgrim destination of Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim. Today, Toftemo offers hotel or cabin accommodation, as well as camping and glamping facilities. Their café serves classic Norwegian meals à la carte.
- Trolltun offers accommodation in different price ranges, choose between cabin, hotel or hostel accommodation. Their restaurant serves game meat and other local delicacies.
Questions or comments? Let us know.