Bjørgovarden Hiking Trail
Discover an easy-going trail through a serene mountain landscape
- Season: June-October
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 15.3 kilometers (loop)
- Elevation Gain: 560 meters
- Duration: 5-6 hours
The trail runs through gentle mountain terrain and is easy to follow. If you want a shorter hike, there are several short-cut options along the way.
Exit road E16 in Aurdal right by the church towards Danebu Kongsgård and Valdres Alpine ski slopes. Continue up the road passing the exit to the ski slopes and continue all the way to a toll booth where you need to pay NOK 20 by credit card to pass.
Continue up the road, passing Damtjernet Lake on your left-hand side. After a few hundred meters take a right at the sign towards Danebu Kongsgård.
After 400 meters you get to Fræningen Lake. Follow this trail over to the northern end of the lake. There is a trail junction here where one trail takes you to Binnhovdsknatten and the other to Fjellenden. Follow the trail towards Fjellenden. After hiking 750 meters, you get to Fjellenden at 1145 meters above sea level.
From Storstølknatten follow the trail towards Bjørgovarden. After 1.5 kilometers, you will pass Kringlestølen mountain farm. From Kringlestølen, follow the signs to Bjørgovarden. The distance from Kringlestølen to Bjørgovarden is 2.7 kilometers.
From Kringlestølen take the trail back to Storstølknatten and from there the trail going to Fræningen Lake. Alternatively, you can take the trail from Kringlestølen going down to Venevatnet and Storstøltjernet Lake and from there follow the road back to Danebu.
- If you are interested in local food and beer then go by Noraker Gard and Små Vesen before or after the hike. Noraker Gard is known for its production of fermented fish which they sell in the farm shop. Små Vesen sells its excellent locally produced beer.
- Fræningen Lake is drinking water so swimming is strictly forbidden
- You can fill up your water bottle in lakes and creeks along the way.
Where to stay
Questions or comments? Let us know.