Galdane and Seltunåsen Hiking Trail
Loop around Galdane and Seltunåsen
- Destination: Filefjell Kongevegen
- Season: April-November
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 8.6 kilometers (loop)
- Elevation Gain: 370 meters
- Duration: 3.5-4.5 hours
About Galdane and Seltunåsen
The Kongevegen road through Galdane, dating back to 1794, is one of the finest sections of Kongevegen over Filefjell presenting new experiences around every turn. The road follows the terrain up and down and you feel how difficult it must have been for horse and carriage transportation between Bergen and Oslo during this time of history.
Seltunåsen is located right next to road E16 between Oslo and Bergen. From Bergen it takes 3.5 hours to drive and from Oslo it takes about 4.5 hours. There is parking next to Sjurhaugfossen waterfall, where you will find the starting point for the hiking adventure.
From Bergen, the Øst-VestEkspressen Bus departs daily at 0910 and arrives at Borlaug 1300. From Borlaug, take the local bus to Sjurhaugfossen. Book your ticket for the bus from Bergen to Borlaug with NOR-WAY Bussekspress here.
Everyday, aside for Sunday, there is a bus departing Oslo at 08:40 and arriving in Borgund (Lo Aust) at 14:34.
From the parking area next to Sjurhaugfossen waterfall, cross Lærdalselva river and after 100 meters you turn to the left where you will arrive at the Kongevegen road, built 1794.
At Store Sokni, you will cross the historic bridge, built in 1790, at the base of the mighty waterfall. Here, you will arrive to the old house at Galdane. The house is located in an open landscape surrounded by steep mountainsides. Today, the house has been restored and is a perfect place to take a break.
Past Galdane, the trail becomes more narrow between the mountainside and the river in the valley bottom. When you reach Seltun farm, turn cross the river and head back towards Sjurhaugfossen waterfall.
After about 1 kilometer, the road flattens and it opens to a beautiful view over the river towards the historic house, Galdane. A few hundred meters more and you climb up to the 15-meter tall wall built by hand in natural stone.
Along Kongevegen, you come across many information signs and place name detailing the interesting points along the route.
- Galdane was one of the most notorious sections of Kongevegen over Filefjell from 1794 because of the avalanches and rock slides which would happen during the winter and the snowmelt in the springtime. In summer, it is an idyllic walk through the dramatic landscape.
- Since 1845, the road above Seltunåsen offers a different experience along a smoother road, making it easier and faster to walk along, in comparison to Kongevegen.
- It is just 5-6 kilometers from the parking lot at Sjurhaugfossen Waterfall up to Borgund Stave Church visitors center where you have access to a cafe and restrooms.
Questions or comments? Let us know.