Galdane and Seltunåsen Hiking Trail
Take a historic loop around Galdane and Seltunåsen
- Destination: Filefjell Kongevegen
- Season: April-November
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 8.6 kilometers (loop)
- Elevation Gain: 300 meters
- Duration: 3.5-4.5 hours
About Galdane and Seltunåsen
The trail through Galdane dates back to 1794 and is one of the finest sections of Kongevegen over Filefjell. The road follows the terrain up and down through beautiful landscape and you can feel how difficult it must have been to travel with a horse and cart between Bergen and Oslo back in the 1800s.
Seltunåsen is located right next to road E16 between Oslo and Bergen. Park next to Sjurhaugfossen Waterfall.
From Bergen, the Øst-Vestekspressen bus stops at Borlaug, where there is accommodation. From Borlaug, take the local bus to Sjurhaugen which is close to the trailhead.
From Oslo there is a bus to Borlaug everyday except Sundays.
The trail starts from the parking lot by Sjurhaugfossen Waterfall. Cross Lærdalselva river and shortly after join the Kongevegen trail to your left. The trail is clear and easy to follow.
At Store Sokni you will cross the historic bridge, built in 1790, at the base of the mighty waterfall. Next, you will arrive at the old house at Galdane. The house is located in an open landscape surrounded by steep mountainsides. The house has been restored and is a perfect place to take a break.
Past Galdane, the trail becomes narrower between the mountainside and the river in the valley bottom. After passing Seltun Farm, cross the river and head back towards Sjurhaugfossen waterfall.
After about 1 kilometer, the road flattens and it opens to a beautiful view over the river towards Galdane. A few hundred meters more and you will begin the climb up to the 15-meter tall wall built by hand in natural stone.
- Galdane was one of the most notorious sections of Kongevegen over Filefjell from 1794 because of the avalanches and rock slides which would happen during the winter and the snowmelt in the springtime. In summer, it is an idyllic walk through the dramatic landscape.
- Since 1845, the road above Seltunåsen offers a different experience along a smoother road, making it easier and faster to walk along in comparison to Kongevegen.
- It is just 6 kilometers from the parking lot at Sjurhaugfossen Waterfall up to Borgund Stave Church. There you will find a visitor center with toilets and a café open from May 1st to September 30th.
Where to stay
Questions or comments? Let us know.