Open this adventure in the app to save it offline.
Gran Rectory Garden
Welcome to this beautiful, old garden!
The garden is believed to date back to the late 1700s, and is built in a classic Renaissance style. It still both ornamental and productive.
These 1.5 acres were maintained by the vicar living at the rectory. When the garden was purchased by Gran municipality in 1997, it was overgrown. A design drawing from 1905 has been used as a guide for the restoration work. Efforts have been made to re-introduce old plants and recreate gravel paths, and trees and shrubs have been cut back. The crucifixes have been restored and re-erected. A garden pavilion has been built.
The garden features a burial site where four people are buried. Frederiche Christiane Krog married Albert Lassen in 1805. A year later they had twin girls, but the mother died in childbirth. One of the girls died only 8 days old. Vicar Wilhelm Lassen was permitted by royal decree to bury his daughter-in-law and grandchild in the garden. He himself died in 1830, and the remaining twin girl died in 1831. They were also buried in the garden.