Relaxing mountain hike from Kvikne
- Destination: Forollhogna
- Season: June–October
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 1.7 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 200 meters
- Duration: 1–1.5 hours
Open this adventure in the app to save it offline.
Riv provides a nice lookout point to the surrounding mountains. It's also a good starting base for hiking further into the mountains. The starting point of the trip, Svartsjøen, is an idyllic lake that has plenty of quality fish.
There is an abundance of wildlife in the area, so bring your binoculars! The area also has many berry bushes, read more about the rules of picking berries in the Right to Roam blog post.
Drive just north of Yset / Kvikne on Road 3, before turning onto Plassætervegen. You'll follow Plassætervegenfor about 10 km before reaching the parking lot at Svartsjøen.
Please note that Plassætervegen is a toll road, so bring cash.
The well-marked trail starts from the parking lot at Svartsjøen and leads up to the Ruv lookout point. At the top, there is a mountain viewer, that helps you determine which mountains you are viewing.
- Svartsjøen lake is a great place to go fishing. You can read more about fishing and buy a fishing license at Fishspot.
- Public parking at Svartsjøen
- The Gamma established at the starting point of the trip is open to anyone who wants a shelter for wind and weather, whether it is for a meal break or for overnight. It is not intended for overnight stays. There are benches to sit on, but not to lie on. If you intend to stay overnight, you must bring proper bed linen.
Where to stay
- Vegbua at Plassetervegen, can be rented out. Visit Kvikne Utmarksråd to learn about booking.