Admire Europe’s highest fjord view from a road
- Destination: Geirangerfjord
- Season: May-October
Dalsnibba is a mountain with a specially constructed scenic road and viewpoint facing the Geirangerfjord. At almost 1,500 meters above sea level it is apparently the highest view of a fjord from a road one can find in Europe.
A relatively recent addition, the Geiranger Skywalk is a viewing platform with glass guardrails 500 meters above the ground. There is also a restored path up to the platform from a lower parking lot.
If it’s a very foggy day, consider giving Dalsnibba a miss and saving your money.
Dalsnibba is accessed via a 4.6 kilometer toll road called Nibbevegen. Nibbevegen starts by the Djupvasshytta Cabin on road 63, about 15 kilometers south of Geiranger. The drive from Geiranger and up to the viewpoint takes about 30 minutes.
The toll is 150 NOK per car. You can pay with credit card. Alternatively, buy a ticket in advance online.
There are two bus services to Dalsnibba.
A local bus runs twice daily from late June to late August. The return trip includes a short photo stop at Flydalsjuvet and 20 minutes at Dalsnibba. Tickets cost 318 NOK for adults and 250 NOK for children (4-15 years).
A sightseeing bus runs every day from the 1st of June to the 31st of August. There are 15 minute stops at Flydalsjuvet and Dalsnibba. Tickets cost 395 NOK for adults and 200 NOK for children (5-15 years).
- Souvenir shop
Where to stay
There are several hotels, lodges, and campgrounds in and around Geiranger.
- Grande Fjord Hotel is a popular and cozy hotel, with fjord views 2.5 kilometers from Geiranger.
- Hotel Union Geiranger is a large hotel set back in the valley and facing the fjord, with an indoor swimming pool.
- Hotell Geiranger is in the heart of Geiranger, right by the fjord.
- Geiranger Camping is a simple campground located right at the end of the fjord, on the waterfront.
- Vinje Camping has cabins and campgrounds, 1.5 kilometers up the valley from Geiranger.
Questions or comments? Let us know.