Pu'u Hinahina trail Hiking Trail
Waimea Canyon view trail
- Destination: Hawaii
- Season: January-February
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 2.4 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 70 meters
- Duration: 1-2 hours
About Pu'u Hinahina trail
This trail first takes you first into the forest, where you can hear the birds chirping and smell the delicious forest before you hit the final goal of the trail, which is a rewarding view of the beautiful Waimea Canyon.
On the island, it is wise to rent a car. The public bus does not run often and drives only between the larger towns on the highway.
From the parking lot you will find the two lookouts on the right and the start of the trail on the left. The trail takes you deeper into the rainforest. The first 300 meters the trail is descending a bit before it starts ascending and sometimes you have to make big steps over the tree roots.
When you have reached the summit, the trail goes up to the lookout point. Note, just before the end you come to a junction where you should take a right to reach the lookout. If you rather want to continue towards the Canyon Trail and the waterfall, take a left.
The trail is well marked and you will find different signs along the trail.
- Drinking water can be found by the parking lot.
- There no public toilets along the trail. You can use the ones at the parking lot next to the Pu’u Hinahina Lookout.
- There are campsites in the State Park, but you can also camp at Salt Pond Beachpark
- You will find shops along Kaumualii Highway and in Kalaheo and Port Allen.
Where to stay
You can choose from one of the many hotels on Kauai. The island is not big, the maximum distance you can travel is two hours, one way.
The island also has several camping sites. The closest ones can be found around the State Park and Salt Pond
Questions or comments? Let us know.
By Nadja Kroon
World traveler originally from the Netherlands.