Fisktjønna in Budal Fishing
Family friendly mountain hike to a small fishing lake
- Destination: Forollhogna
- Season: June-September
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 4 kilometers (point‑to‑point)
- Elevation Gain: 220 meters
- Duration: 1-1.5 hours
About Fisktjønna in Budal
A hiking trip to Fiskjønna lake in Budalen is a nice mountain trip, that is accessible for people of all ages. The trail is rather easy to hike and has fantastic mountain views upon hiking through the forest.
Wildlife such a wild boar are abundant. The hunting season is mid-August to mid-September. A hunting license can be attained through The Brønnøysund Register Centre. Also during this time, there are ample bushes along the trail to pick blueberries.
Make sure to bring your fishing rod to take advantage of the ample fishing opportunities. A fishing license must be attained at gas stations, convenience stores, or the Statskog website.
There are many routes to access Budalen from Enodd village. The easiest and fastest way depends on which direction you come from.
From Enodd, it's about 8 km to drive to the toll road in Endalen. From the toll, drive about 4 km to the starting point of the trip at Bjønnvollvollen. The parking lot is free to use and it is located at the start of the trail.
Start your biking trip from the center of Enodd village, or near the start of the toll road.
Train and bicycle
Get off the train at Rognes, and ride your bike from here to Endalen. The bike ride is approximately 2.5 hours by bike (26 km) to the entrance of Endalen with an increase in altitude the entire way.
The trip starts from Bjønnvollvollen, located at 700 meters above sea level in the village of Endalen. You'll pass through a lush mountain birch forest before reaching well-used pasture lands for cattle and sheep. After about 1.5 km, the trail will start to rise by 130 meters providing open mountain views of Forollhogna National Park. The trip then continues on easy terrain to Fisktjønna lake and Fiskebua hut.
- Fiskjønna is located in Forollhogna National Park. The mountain range has rich and varied vegetation, birdlife and wildlife.
- Fish in this lake are plentiful and are known to be of very high quality
- Bring your binoculars to easily spot wildlife
- The weather changes quickly, so bring layers and raingear.
Where to stay
- Pitch a tent! Just make sure you follow Right to Roam principles.
- Enabu at the entrance to Endalen is a nice cabin and a great base (booking: Inatur.no)
- Budal.net for accommodation in Endalen
- Hiåvollan seter for accommodation in Budalen
- Spend the night at the Fiskebua near Fisktjønna
Questions or comments? Let us know.