Viafjellet Hiking Trail
Førde's best viewpoint
- Destination: Sunnfjord
- Season: March-November
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 3.2 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 540 meters
- Duration: 1.5-2.5 hours
Viafjellet is the viewpoint around Førde with the nicest views of the city and the area around it. Enjoy the sunset or do a day hike on this very popular trail among the locals. The trail can be used almost any month of the year but it is generally a fairly wet trail so bring appropriate hiking shoes. There are some steep parts along the trail, but it is mostly easy to hike and is suitable for hikers with all levels of hiking experience.
From Førde, follow E39/road 5 eastbound and look for a yellow sign in a roundabout for "Vie". Go straight in the next roundabout and then take a right in "Viervegen" and later a left up "Vieråsen". Look for a soccer field on your right-hand side and take a right. Follow this road until it stops and park at the end of the road.
If there is no room at the end of the road, go back and park your car by the soccer field.
The trail starts at the end of the road and is easy to follow. After some hiking, you get to a viewpoint with a small open hut. This is a good place for a small break before you head up the last section to the Viafjellet summit.
- Bring water as there is very little water along the trail.
- There is a small open cabin on your way up the mountain.
- Cell coverage all the way along the trail
- Free parking
Where to stay
- It is possible to camp at the end of this trail if you want to enjoy the night up there.
- Lots of places to stay overnight in Førde like Thon Hotel Førde, Førde Gjestehus and Camping or Førde pensjonat.
Questions or comments? Let us know.
By Matilde Ulleland Kvammen
This is the world through my eyes.