Østre Bolæren Coastal Trail Hiking Trail
Explore the eastern archipelago of Færder National Park
- Destination: Færder National Park
- Season: March-October
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 3.2 kilometers (loop)
- Elevation Gain: 80 meters
- Duration: 1-2 hours
About Østre Bolæren Coastal Trail
The coastal trail on Østre Bolæren island provides a variety of terrain and fantastic views of the Oslofjord. Grab your swimsuit, pack a picnic, and jump on the water taxi to enjoy a day among the Norwegian islands.
From Oslo, head southwest on E18 for 95 kilometers towards Kristiansand. Take exit 35: Gullikrysset, for Rv 308 toward Tønsberg/Nøtterøy/Tjøme. Once you reach Tønsberg, make your way to the departure point for the Bolærnebåtene (Bolærne boats) located at Kanalveien. There is parking located here as well.
From Oslo, there are hourly train departures to Tønsberg with NSB. From the Tønsberg train station, it is a 20-minute walk to the Kanalveien where the Bolærnebåtene (Bolærne boats) depart from. You are able to purchase train tickets on the NSB’s website and app or buy them onboard with a card.
Boats to the Bolærne islands
The company Bolærnebåtene has 3–4 departures per day during the high season (late May until mid-August). During the off-season, check the schedule or call Øyvind on +47 97 89 33 09.
A round-trip ticket costs 175 NOK for adults and 100 NOK for children. You are able to purchase tickets with both card and cash.
In addition to Bolærnebåtene, you can also book a water taxi:
The coastal trail around Østre Bolæren is a 3-kilometer loop taking you over a variety of landscape and by the old Norwegian military base. Follow the blue-marked trail along the coastline, through the natural foliage and beautiful forests full of oak trees. Don’t forget to check out the retired military canons which are still pointing out over the open ocean.
The entire trail provides great views of the island and surrounding ocean. It is obvious why the Norwegian military chose this location to build a fort, as you can easily see boats coming and going in the Oslofjord.
Enjoy the varied landscape and quaint beaches that are scattered around the island. The best swimming area by far is Nordbukta, located on the north side of Østre Bolæren, and well-sheltered from the coastal breeze. It is also a great place to pitch a tent for the night.
- There are paths that are great for strollers and wheelchairs.
- There is a climbing wall in a mountain face on the east side of the island.
- There is an obstacle course found north of the Commander’s House.
- Guest area
- Restaurant with outdoor seating
- Service building with toilets and showers
- Boat, canoe, and life-jacket rentals
- Swimming beaches
Where to stay
On Østre Bolæren, it's possible to rent a room at the Commander’s House “Kommandantboligen”, which was built in 1917. Book with Oslofjordens Friluftsråd.
- The entire building can be rented or you can rent a bed for the night.
- The kitchen and living room are available to all guests.
- The kitchen is equipped with a refrigerator, stove, and basic cooking equipment.
- There is room for 28 guests.
Questions or comments? Let us know.