Moutmarka Coastal Trail Hiking Trail
Hike along the impressive coastline near Verdens Ende
- Destination: Færder National Park
- Season: January–December
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 3.1 kilometers (loop)
- Elevation Gain: 30 meters
- Duration: 2–4 hours
About Moutmarka Coastal Trail
Moutmarka is one of the finest areas of Færder National Park thanks to its incredible biological and geological diversity. The hiking trail following the western coastline of Tjøme, between Verdens Ende and Mostranda beach, is a great adventure for all ages. Pack a picnic and take the whole family to explore the exciting coastline of Færder National Park.
From Oslo, head southwest on E18 for 95 kilometers towards Kristiansand. Take exit 35: Gullikrysset, for Rv 308 toward Tønsberg/Nøtterøy/Tjøme. Follow Rv 308 for 31 kilometers through Tønsberg and Nøtterøy until you reach the island of Tjøme and finally Stall Verdens Ende, where there is a parking lot just north of the harbor. The travel time is normally around two hours.
From Oslo, there are hourly train departures to Tønsberg with NSB. From Tønsberg, there are hourly bus departures from early in the morning to late in the evening on the VKT public buses traveling to Verdens Ende. Visit the website, VKT, to view the schedule from Tønsberg station to Verdens Ende and the exact departure times.
A great starting point for the Moutmarka trail is the parking lot at Verdens Ende.
From the parking lot, head north along the fence to Stall Verdens Ende. When you come to the road, Skåeveien, head west, over some farmland and through a gate onto the blue-marked trail. Follow the trail as it turns north and takes you near the coastline, over svabergs, (large rock formations), through some rugged terrain, over some grassy knolls, and finishing at Tjøme’s nicest swimming area, Mostranda.
It is 3 kilometers from the start of the trail at Verdens Ende to Mostranda. You can return to the beginning of the trail along the same path or you can return along the main road and biking route. For the alternate route, follow the road Moveien up to Helgerødveien, and continue south on this road until you reach Verdens Ende.
- Moutmarka is one of Norway's finest outdoor recreation areas.
- A very family-friendly hike
- The trail is not ideal for a stroller due to the rugged terrain. It is prohibited to bike in Moutmarka, and you are not allowed to put up a tent.
- In close proximity to the famous Verdens Ende and the National Park Centre
- The trail is unprotected and it can be quite windy from the southwest, so it can be smart to bring along a wind jacket even on a sunny day
- Paid parking at Stall Verdens Ende
- Public toilets are located at the Parking lot and in the amfi at the pier
- Exhibition and café at the National Park Centre
Save and share
Find other popular adventures