Store Ringstind Skiing
Discover perfect spring skiing in Jotunheimen National Park
- Destination: Jotunheimen
- Season: January–May
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 14.6 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 1,170 meters
- Duration: 7–10 hours
About Store Ringstind
The area around Turtagrø in Jotunheimen is a haven for spring ski touring. With a lot of snow and sunlight until 9 p.m. in May you can take your time while enjoying some great skiing.
Store Ringstind is one of the most popular and spectacular peaks in the area. From the valley below it looks quite difficult, but the mountain opens up as you climb it. Many Norwegians consider Store Ringstind the best ski touring peak in all of Norway.
The trail starts at the end of Ringdalen valley. If you have a car you can drive the 3 km from Turtagrø and park by the road. If you don’t have a car you need to ski the extra 3 km up to the Ringdalen valley.
The first part of the trail follows the flat valley for 3–4 km. Stay on the left side of the valley and when you’re almost at the end start climbing up towards Ringsbreen. The last stage before the glacier is a bit steep and can be difficult if the snow is tightly packed.
Follow the glacier, making sure to stay as close to Midtre Ringstind as possible. There are considerably fewer crevasses in the glacier the higher up you go, so this is a safer route that further down.
Soon you will reach the last hill going up to the peak. This hill is safe and very easy until you have about 100 meters left to the top. Most people leave their skis here and walk up to the peak. The peak itself is fairly narrow and has a steep cliff on the other side facing Austanbottstind.
- Evaluate the risks of avalanches before you go. Talk to the locals or ask at Turtagrø Hotel for more information.
- If you don’t feel like tackling this adventure on your own, check with Turtagrø Hotel as they offer guided tours in the area.
- Part of this adventure crosses a glacier and you need to be able to determine if you should bring ropes and other safety equipment.
- Parking is available at Turtagrø Hotel. Parking is paid if you are not a visitor to the hotel.
Where to stay
Turtagrø Hotel is the perfect option for staying in this area. You can choose to book a room or just pitch your tent outside and pay to use the hote’s facilities.