The round-trip tour to the Finse’s northern peak.
- Destination: Finse
- Season: March-May
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 13.7 kilometers (loop)
- Elevation Gain: 440 meters
- Duration: 4-6 hours
Challenge yourself with this round-trip tour to Klemsbu and the cabin situated at the footstep of the mountain St. Paul. This is a great wintertime adventure for outdoorsmen and women of all ages and levels, and is a fantastic way to explore the mountains around the Finse area.
View other great winter adventures around Finse 1222 here.
From Finse 1222, head north from the hotel following the signs towards “Klemsbu”. The 12-kilometer route to Klemsbu and back to Finse 1222, is marked by sticks and will take you over a mix of flat sections and relatively steeper climbs.
3 kilometers along the route, you will come to a fork. Keep right and continue towards Klemsbu. At the cabin, you can enjoy a break as well as purchase fresh waffles and beverages during most weekends between January and April
From Klemsbu, head southeast away from the cabin following the trail marked by sticks. About 2 kilometers after leaving the cabin, you will reach a trail crossing. Continue straight in the southeastern direction. The route will start curving southwest and downhill towards the start of the Klemsburunden adventure at Finse 1222.
- Always bring a compass and an additional map for safety precaution.
- Hytta Klemsbu is located at 1600 meters above sea level.
- It is recommended to use “fjellski” (mountain skis) on this adventure. These skis have steel edges which make it easier to get a good grip on the snow.
- The Klemsburunden route will be marked by sticks from early January to mid-May.
- The wind is very often much stronger above Finse than at the beginning of the route. It is recommended to wear the appropriate clothing as well as bring additional gear in case of sudden weather changes. Read about What to Pack for a One-Day Ski Trip to be well prepared.
- Public toilets are found at Finse.
- You are able to purchase food at Finse 1222’s restaurant or grocery store.
- Klemsbu serves a limited selection of food and beverage during some weekends between January and April. Ask the front desk at Finse 1222 if Klemsbu is open and serving food.
- Outdoor adventure equipment can be rented at Finse 1222. You can learn more about pricing and availability here.
Where to stay
Finse 1222 - Located in the midst of the Hardanger mountain range, Finse 1222 is easily accessible via train from both Bergen and Oslo and is the perfect place to stay for all of your summer and winter adventures.
Questions or comments? Let us know.