Adventure to the northern peak above Finse 1222
- Destination: Finse
- Season: January-May
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 10.9 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 390 meters
- Duration: 4-6 hours
Enjoy the northern route from Finse 1222 to Klemsbu, taking you up 400 meters in altitude to the cabin located on the footstep of the mountain Sankt Pål. This is a great adventure for skiers or snowshoers of all levels and provides incredible views of Hallingskarvet and the Hardanger mountains.
View other great winter adventures around Finse 1222 here.
From Finse 1222, head north from the hotel following the signs towards “Klemsbu”. The 12-kilometer route to Klemsbu-hytta at 1600m and back to Finse is marked by sticks and will be a mix of both flat sections and relatively steeper climbs. 3 kilometers along the route, you will come to a fork. Keep right to continue towards Klemsbu. At the cabin, you will be able to purchase fresh waffles and beverages during most weekends between January and April.
Return back to Finse 1222 on the same route. If you would like to return to Finse 1222 on an alternate route, check out the adventure, Klemsburunden.
Klemsbu is located inside the Hallingskarvet National Park.
- Always bring a compass and an additional map for safety precaution.
- It is recommended to use “fjellski” (mountain skis) on this adventure. These skis have steel edges which make it easier to get a good grip on the snow.
- The route to Klemsbu will be marked by sticks from the beginning of January.
- The wind is very often stronger above Finse than down near the hotel.
- It is recommended to wear the appropriate clothing as well as bring additional gear in case of sudden weather changes, which can happen in the mountains. Read about What to Pack for a One-Day Ski Trip to be well prepared.
- Public toilets are found at Finse.
- You are able to purchase food at Finse 1222’s restaurant or grocery store.
- The cabin Klemsbu serves a limited selection of food and beverage during some weekends between January and April. Ask the front desk at Finse 1222 if Klemsbu is open and serving food.
- The serving at Klemsbu is based on voluntary help organized by Finse 1222 who owns and manages the cabin
- Outdoor adventure equipment can be rented at Finse 1222. You can learn more about pricing and availability here.
Where to stay
Finse 1222 - Located in the midst of the Hardanger mountain range, Finse 1222 is easily accessible via train from both Bergen and Oslo and is the perfect place to stay for all of your summer and winter adventures.
Questions or comments? Let us know.