Black Tusk from Taylor Meadows Hiking Trail
Get up close with Black Tusk from Taylor Meadows Campground
- Destination: Southwest British Columbia
- Season: July-October
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 9 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 650 meters
- Duration: 3.5-4.5 hours
About Black Tusk from Taylor Meadows
Black Tusk Mountain is one of the most spectacular mountains in Garibaldi Provincial Park. Its jagged edges and deep black color is visible from far away and from several points along the Sea to Sky highway.
There are three main routes for hiking to Black Tusk. All three options are very long day hikes so consider staying a night at one of the nearby campsites before you do the final section up to the mountain. Read more about the different options here.
This hike starts from Taylor Meadows Campground.
Head out from Taylor Meadows Campground and continue on the trail up towards Black Tusk. The trail is quite flat now as it meanders through meadows and patches of forest. Soon you will meet the trail coming up from Garibaldi Lake and a bit later the trail coming in from Helm Creek Campground. Take a left in both of these junctions.
After the second junction, the trail continues up a steep hill and leaves all of the forests behind.
Eventually, you meet a BC Parks sign where you can take a rest and view this mountain in full view. You can choose to end the hike here or if you are comfortable continue on up to the mountain.
The trail is no longer maintained past the sign but you can see the trail going up to a small ridge towards the peak. Be careful as you hike this scree slope as there are lots of very loose rocks here.
The very last section up to the peak is very steep and only accessible to climbers.
- All overnight stays at Taylor Meadows Campground needs to be pre-booked
- All garbage needs to be carried out
- Mountain biking on this trail is not allowed
- Fires are not allowed
- Dogs not allowed
- All drinking waters must be filtered, boiled or otherwise treated before consumption
- Expect to see no cell service throughout the park
- Pit toilets at Taylor Meadows and by the Black Tusk junction(the last junction before heading up to the mountain)
Questions or comments? Let us know.