Øigardseter to Putten Seter Hiking Trail
Hike from cabin to cabin in while taking in the rewarding views of Rondane
- Destination: Rondane National Park
- Season: June-October
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 7.8 kilometers (point‑to‑point)
- Elevation Gain: 460 meters
- Duration: 3-4 hours
About Øigardseter to Putten Seter
Historic Øigardseter with its protected houses and mountain pastures is the starting point of this family-friendly hike that takes you over Karihaugen to Putten Seter. In course of its 6 kilometers, the trail takes you 1260 meters above sea level to astonishing views of the mountains of Jotunheimen and Dovre.
You enter grounds that have inspired numerous Norwegian painters, writers, and composers with its beautiful and imposing nature. It used to be dominated by mountain farms, but since the end of the 19th-century tourism has come to be one of the defining characters of the area.
While driving along the main road E6 in the Gudbrandsdalen valley look for the sign to Høvringen about a 15-minute drive north of Otta. From the main road, there is a 6 km drive up to a fork in the road just before you reach Høvringen. Bear left at this junction and after 1 km you reach Øigardseter Mountain Lodge where you can park your car.
Starting out from the cabin Øigardseter, you follow the signs to Putten Seter. You want to get on the trail that takes you over the peak called Karihaugen. From Øigardseter, at about 900 meter above sea level, up to Karihaugen there is a gradual ascent. The peak is approximately two thirds into your 6 kilometer hike and from Karihaugen’s 1260 meters above sea level you have a great view of Jotunheimen and the Dovre mountains. The rest of the hike is a slow descent of about 300 meters down to Putten Seter.
- If you feel like taking a little detour, there are 100 year old animal burial grounds to the left of the trail, just before you reach the top of Karihaugen.
- Three hundred meters from Putten Seter there is a chapel called Rossbukapell, which you can visit. Four times a year - at New Year’s, Easter, Saint Olav’s Day and in the autumn - they host religious services at the chapel.
- In the winter you can undertake the trail on skis.
- If you would like to bike the trail, you can rent a bike at Øigardseter.
Where to stay
Spend the night at Øigardseter Fjellstue before heading out on your hike the next day. Putten Seter also offers accommodation, if you do not wish to return to Øigardseter on the same day or if you wish to continue your trip from Putten Seter further into the mountain.
If you wish to go on a longer hiking trip, you can continue from Putten Seter to Smuksjøseter and from Smuksjøseter come back to Øigardseter. The three cabins offer a booking package called "Explore Rondane" ("Rondaneturen") which includes accommodation for three nights, three-course dinners, breakfast and packed lunch, a thermos of hot beverage, a map and luggage transportation. Contact the cabins directly for prices and more information.
Questions or comments? Let us know.