Hauktjern Hiking Trail
Oslo’s eastern adventure haven
- Destination: Oslo
- Season: January-December
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 6.8 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 190 meters
- Duration: 2-3 hours
Hauktjern is a nice small lake in Østmarka with a ridge running along the side that has some unusual rock formations.
Getting to Hauktjern is a nice hike from Ulsrud metro station and into Østmarka. Most of the hike is along a gravel road, so it is not very hard to do.
In the summertime you can expect to see lots of climbers along Hauktjern as the place has numerous options for climbing.
Need more info on where to go hiking in Oslo? See our guide to the city’s best trails.
- Take the eastbound T-bane line 3 (Mortensrud) to the "Ulsrud" stop. The trailhead begins here.
- Alternatively, you can park at Ulsrudvannet which offers free parking for 48 hours.
The trail is marked all the way from Ulsrud T-bane station to Hauktjern. From the T-bane station, follow some roads up a hill that lead you into Østmarka. The marked trail leads you to Østmarksetra, where you also find a large parking area. From this parking area, follow along the gravel road down to Nøklevann. There are signs showing you the way to Hauktjern. So, although there are a lot of trails in this area, it should be easy to find.
The gravel road follows along the northern side of Nøklevann and then back south again on the other side of the lake. After a little while, the road will gradually get a bit steeper until you reach Sarabråten, which is an old farm where some ruins remain. From there you find a trail going up into the woods up to Hauktjern.
When arriving at Hauktjern, make sure you hike all along the lake as you will find many interesting viewpoints along the lake.
- If it's a sunny day, bring swimming gear.
- Bring camping gear if you'd like to camp around the lake
- This is one of Oslo's most popular places to rock climb. You will find many rock faces around Hauktjern ready to be climbed.
- There is an outhouse toilet down at Ulsrudvannet
Questions or comments? Let us know.