Keipen Hiking Trail
A panoramic view and great opportunity to see the midnight sun
- Destination: Senja
- Season: June–October
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 6.9 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 860 meters
- Duration: 3–7 hours
From the top of Keipen, one can enjoy a great view over Ørnfjorden, Husøy, Segla, Barden, Grytetippen and Breidtinden. From the top of the peak, it is also a great place to see the evening and midnight sun. Keipen is located near Grytetippen so it is possible to conquer both of the peaks in one day.
The trip is not especially open before you reach the top. It is quite a steep climb the entire trip, so one should be in decent shape before taking on this adventure.
You have the option of parking at two different places:
- The first is located along road rv862 next to Mefjordvatnan lake. There is room for a few cars along the side of the road but spaces can fill up quickly.
- Take the exit towards Fjordgård and park before you reach Ørnfjortunnelen. This is the starting point for many routes (Barden, Daven, Grytetippen and Keipen).
The trails are parked from both parking areas.
The trail is marked the entire way to the top. It can be difficult to see the trail markers at certain points but the hike a popular so the trail is quite clear. It can be muddy and wet in the beginning of the trip so be sure to wear the appropriate waterproof shoes.
From the parking lot next to Medfjordvatnan (lake), you will find the trail to the left for Keipelva. The trail turns south and meets the trail coming from the other parking lot at about 560 meters above sea level.
From the other parking lot, follow the electrical cables until you arrive at the gap near Davenkollen, about 260 meters above sea level. From here, head to the right towards Daven and follow the ridge further up until meeting the other trail.
Further along, follow the ridge and aim towards the steep rocky hillside, which you will climb through. Continue hiking towards the gap between Keipen and Grytetippen. When you arrive at the gap, you can choose to head to the right towards Keipen or to the left towards Grytetippen.
It is possible to climb both peaks on the same trip.
- If you park next to Mefjordvatnan lake, you can fill up with water in Keipelva river. If not, it is smart to bring water with you.
- The trail can be very wet, especially starting from Ørnfjordtunnelen, so remember to wear water proof shoes.
- Free parking next to the entrance to the Ørnfjordtunnelen tunnel. There are only a few parking places available at Medfjordvatnan lake.
- No public toilets
Where to stay
By Claire Kvalheim Kieffer
Claire is originally from Oslo, but moved to Senja to experience the wild nature of Northern Norway. Check out Claire's many great photos from Senja and all around Norway.
Save and share
Find other popular adventures