Grytetippen Hiking Trail
One of the best places to see the midnight sun on Senja
- Destination: Senja
- Season: June-October
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 6.8 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 820 meters
- Duration: 3-7 hours
Grytetippen is an incredible place to check out the evening and midnight sun.
The the hike isn’t particularly dangerous before you reach the top, but be aware of the steep cliffs on the along ridge line at the top. It is quite a steep climb along the entire hike so it is recommended to be in decent physical shape to climb Grytetippen.
You have the option of parking at two different places:
- The first is located along road rv862 next to Mefjordvatnan lake. There is room for a few cars along the side of the road but spaces can fill up quickly.
- Take the exit towards Fjordgård and park before you reach Ørnfjortunnelen. This is the starting point for many routes (Barden, Daven, Grytetippen and Keipen).
The trails are marked from both parking areas.
The trail is marked the entire way to the top. It can be difficult to see the trail markers at certain points but the hike a popular so the trail is quite clear. It can be muddy and wet in the beginning of the trip so be sure to wear the appropriate waterproof shoes.
From the parking lot next to Medfjordvatnan (lake), you will find the trail to the left for Keipelva. The trail turns south and meets the trail coming from the other parking lot at about 560 meters above sea level.
From the other parking lot, follow the electrical cables until you arrive at the gap near Davenkollen, about 260 meters above sea level. From here, head to the right towards Daven and follow the ridge further up until meeting the other trail.
Further along, follow the ridge and aim towards the steep rocky hillside, which you will climb through. Continue hiking towards the gap between Keipen and Grytetippen. When you arrive at the gap, you can choose to head to the right towards Keipen or to the left towards Grytetippen.
It is possible to climb both peaks on the same trip.
- If you park next to Mefjordvatnan lake, you can fill up with water in Keipelva river. If not, it is smart to bring water with you.
- The trail can be very wet, especially starting from Ørnfjordtunnelen, so remember to wear water proof shoes.
- Free parking next to the entrance to the Ørnfjordtunnelen tunnel. There are only a few parking places available at Medfjordvatnan lake.
- No public toilets
Where to stay
Questions or comments? Let us know.