Synnerhogna Hiking Trail
Experience mountain farms with fantastic views
- Destination: Forollhogna
- Season: June–October
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 9.1 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 550 meters
- Duration: 3–5 hours
The trail passes through old pastures and fantastic lookout points. If you extend the trip to Langfjellshogna, you'll get even more incredible panoramic views. While hiking keep an eye open for moose, the bird lagopus as well as other diverse bird species.
From the top of Synnerhogna, you'll have a wide view of the national park towards Forollhogna. In addition, you can see several mountains including Rondane, Håmmålsfjellet / Gråhøgda, Sølnkletten, Tron, and Elgpiggen.
The trail can be quite marshy so it's important to wear water-repellent shoes. Near the top, there can be some snowy areas in the early summer.
By car or bike
From Dalsbygda center, head northwest on Road 751. After approximately 4.8 km turn left at the intersection at Langsveien towards Vingelen. Here there will be a barricade where you will need to pay a small toll (cash only). From the barricade continue another 4.4 km to the parking lot at Grunntjønna.
From the parking lot, follow the marked trail to Storenget― soon you'll hike past the Myrengbekken river. The trail passes through old pastures and continues on to Mount Øvensrabben, where there is a great lookout.
At the top of Synnerhogna there is a pile of stones, a cain, that indicates the top which is on the border of Forollhogna National Park. At the top of the mountain, there is the exposed trail book that you can write your name in.
Approximately halfway to Storenget, you'll pass Vetlslettløa before reaching Storenget, historically a slaughterhouse on the farm of Øvre Grue.
- Forollhogna National Park is Norway's 19th national park. The protected area spreads across 1514 km squared of land.
- On the edge of the mountains and national park, there is a very lush mountain birch forest with rich flora and marshes.
- Parking is available at Grundstjønna
- At Grundstjønna, there is more information about the trip and fishing
Where to stay
- Inatur.no has many options (search for Dalsbygda)
- Dalsbygda.no (apartments are available in the center)
- Henningsmoen gård is a farmhouse that dates back to the early 1700s. For more information about booking visit this website.
- You can pitch a tent at Fosskleiva, just make sure you follow "Right to Roam" rules.
Save and share
Find other popular adventures