Storseterfossen Waterfall Hiking Trail
Walk behind an impressive Geiranger gem
- Destination: Geirangerfjord
- Season: May-September
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 2.9 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 250 meters
- Duration: 2-3 hours
About Storseterfossen Waterfall
Storseterfossen Waterfall is one of the most popular hiking destinations in the Geiranger area. The enjoyable trek combined with the experience of walking behind the waterfall makes for a memorable trip. The hike is fairly short, about an hour each way, but has a steady climb.
Westerås Farm is a short drive from Geiranger. Look for the turn-off about 3.5 kilometers south of Geiranger on road 63, between Flydalsjuvet and Geiranger.
Follow the road to the end where there is a parking lot.
The marked trailhead to Storseterfossen is located around 100 meters from the parking lot at Westerås Farm. Note that there is another trailhead directly from the parking lot. This alternative trailhead has a steeper start but the trails meet after not too long.
From the parking lot, follow the road back down to the marked trailhead on the left-hand side. Head across the field until you reach a gate at the edge of the woods.
Once you’re through the gate you'll come to the stone steps built by Sherpas in 2014.
From here, the incline is fairly even all the way to the top. As you near the falls you will catch a glimpse of them in the distance.
At the top, there is a grassy plateau and a nice spot for a picnic. You’ll see a protruding rock which makes for some cool photos.
To get behind the waterfall, head down the steps with railings. They can get quite slippery so watch your step. Be prepared to get wet!
Return along the same trail, and consider the steeper shortcut back to the parking lot.
- Westerås Farm (Westerås Gard) has a restaurant and accommodation
- Free parking
- Walking sticks are available for loan in the parking lot. If you want to keep your sticks after your hike, just leave 50 kroner in the box.
Where to stay
There are several hotels, lodges, and campgrounds in and around Geiranger.
- Grande Fjord Hotel is a popular and cozy hotel, with fjord views 2.5 kilometers from Geiranger.
- Hotel Union Geiranger is a large hotel set back in the valley and facing the fjord, with an indoor swimming pool.
- Hotell Geiranger is in the heart of Geiranger, right by the fjord.
- Geiranger Camping is a simple campground located right at the end of the fjord, on the waterfront.
- Vinje Camping has cabins and campgrounds, 1.5 kilometers up the valley from Geiranger.
Questions or comments? Let us know.