A short hike to Preikestolen's neighbor
- Destination: Stavanger
- Season: January–December
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 3.9 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 210 meters
- Duration: 1–2 hours
Enjoy this alternate hike from Preikestolhytta, Preikestolen's mountain lodge, up to Gryteknuten.
To drive from Stavanger, drive onto the Tau ferry (35–40 minutes) and then take Road 13 through Jørpeland.
Alternatively, drive to Lauvvik and take a ferry to Oanes (8 minutes) before taking road 13 north. Either trip will take around an hour and a half.
Follow signs to the paid parking found at Preikestolen Fjellstue.
From the parking lot next to Preikestolen Fjellstue, hike southwest following the T-marked trail for about a kilometer until you come to an intersection. Take a left and head south up the hill for another kilometer until you reach the flat top of Gryteknuten.
Although the hike is relatively easy, it is recommended to wear good hiking shoes as you will need to cross a few wet areas and scramble over some rocks.
Enjoy the beautiful views at the top before returning along the same route.
- Paid parking available. Due to the popularity of Preikestolen, it is recommended to arrive early to ensure a parking place.
- Public toilets available near the parking lot at Preikestolen Fjellstue.
- Read about the other amenities at Preikestolhytta here.
Save and share
Find other popular adventures