Løsta Hiking Trail
Hike off the beaten track in Geiranger
- Destination: Geirangerfjord
- Season: May-October
- Difficulty: Medium
- Distance: 2.8 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 200 meters
- Duration: 1-2 hours
Head off the beaten track and away from all the crowds in Geiranger village. From Løsta there are magnificent views of the Geirangerfjord and Ørnesvingen.
Take a drink in the sun on the patio at Westerås Farm once you’ve finished the hike and enjoy the views.
Westerås Farm is a short drive from Geiranger. Look for the turn-off about 3.5 kilometers south of Geiranger on road 63, between Flydalsjuvet and Geiranger.
Follow the road to the end where there is a parking lot.
The trail to Løsta is a short hike with a steady ascent.
Starting at Westerås Farm, walk along the dirt road through the paddocks where sheep, goats, and llamas graze. Continue past the path to the viewpoint at Vesteråsfjellet (or head down for a quick look). The trail climbs steadily until it reaches Løsta at approximately 500 meters above sea level.
Return along the same trail.
- Westerås Farm (Westerås Gard) has a restaurant and accommodation
- Free parking
Where to stay
There are several hotels, lodges, and campgrounds in and around Geiranger.
- Grande Fjord Hotel is a popular and cozy hotel, with fjord views 2.5 kilometers from Geiranger.
- Hotel Union Geiranger is a large hotel set back in the valley and facing the fjord, with an indoor swimming pool.
- Hotell Geiranger is in the heart of Geiranger, right by the fjord.
- Geiranger Camping is a simple campground located right at the end of the fjord, on the waterfront.
- Vinje Camping has cabins and campgrounds, 1.5 kilometers up the valley from Geiranger.
Questions or comments? Let us know.