Sløtafjell Hiking Trail
Perfect viewpoint of Eidsbugarden, Bygdin Lake, and beyond
- Destination: Valdres
- Season: June-November
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 5.9 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 350 meters
- Duration: 2.5-3.5 hours
Located north of Mount Torshammaren and Mount Tyinholmen, and southwest of Mount Mjølkedalen, Sløtafjellet sits at 1,350 meters above sea level. From the top, there is the perfect viewpoint over Eidsbugarden, the western side of Bygdin Lake, Vennisstordalen, and the beautiful mountains of Jotunheimen. With its only 350 meter increase, Sløtafjellet is an easy climb and is more of a characteristic viewpoint than a mountain peak.
Drive on road E16 (Lærdal - Fagernes), before exiting towards Tyin Lake and Eidsbugarden. Follow signs towards Eidsbugarden on the eastern side of Tyin Lake. Paid parking is available at Eidsbugarden. 65 NOK for 12-hours parking and 100 NOK for 24-hours parking.
By boat from Bygdin
It is also possible to get to Eidsbugarden by boat from Bygdin. Visit the JVB boat website for schedules and prices for the boat ride. Bygdin is situated 50 kilometers north of Beitostølen. You can drive your car there and park at Bygdin or take the bus from Oslo.
Starting from Eidsbugarden/Fondsbu hike down the road towards Tyinholmen Mountain Lodge, at the first left. There will be a wide trail on your right-hand side, you'll hike on this gravel path past several cabins before turning right towards Sløtabekken. Continue hiking on this road before venturing on the left side of the cabins with peat roof towards Sløtabekken. The trail becomes more defined, as you continue hiking along the stream with the valley on your opposite side. Soon the trail begins to increase in altitude and becomes more challenging. There will soon not be a clearly marked trail, but use the Outtt app to guide you. The final 150 meters are rather steep!
Where to stay
- Fondsbu Mountain Lodge is located on the western end of Bygdin Lake. It's a full-service DNT cabin with many events, music, and cultural events.
- Eidsbugarden Hotel is also located on the western end of Bygdin Lake. Visit their website for accommodation information and availability.
- Bygdin Fjellhotel is located at the eastern end of Bygdin Lake. Visit their website for accommodation information and availability.
- The Right to Roam law enables you to camp most places for free as long as you follow some basic guidelines. Read more.
Questions or comments? Let us know.