Helgelandsbukken Hiking Trail
360 degrees views of Helgeland and Svartisen glacier
- Destination: Helgeland
- Season: June-September
- Difficulty: Demanding
- Distance: 17.1 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 1,440 meters
- Duration: 6-8 hours
A hike up to Helgelandbukken is going to give you some of the best views possible of the Helgeland coast. The peak has 360 degrees views and also includes great views of the Svartisen glacier. The hike includes a boat ride across Holandsfjorden and a visit to Engabreen glacier as you ascend towards the peak. Engabreen is an arm of Norway's second largest glacier Svartisen.
Make sure you bring good boots, the trail gets very slippery when wet.
While driving along road 17 find the parking lot at Holandsvika. Holandsvika is located between Halsa and Glomfjord. The parking lot is fairly small right by the pier at Holandsvika.
The hike starts by taking the 15 minutes ferry across Holandsfjorden. When disembarking the boat you will find the gravel road that takes you along Svartisen lake. The road is about 3 km long and stops on the other side of the lake.
From the end of the road follow the trail up to Tåkeheimen. As you hike further up you get better views of the glacier behind you. The trail is easy to find and hike. As you move upwards you will see less and less vegetation and where the cabin is located you will find mostly just rocks.
From Tåkeheimen the trail is very weak but you should see cairns as you move up towards the peak. Take care and make sure you follow the trail on the map. There is a big cairn at the peak and you have views of Svartisen and the surrounding area.
- You can find the schedule for the boat at engenbreenskyss.no
- The boat is 180 NOK round-trip for adults
- If you want to stay overnight at Tåkeheimen just bring a sleeping bag and food. The cabin is always open, but you have to pay to stay there. Prices depend on age and members of The Norwegian Trekking Association gets discounts.
- More about the Tåkeheimen cabin at ut.no(Norwegian only)
Where to stay
Questions or comments? Let us know.