Øyungen Lake Hiking Trail
Camp on the shore of this beautiful lake in Nordmarka
- Destination: Oslo
- Season: May-November
- Difficulty: Easy
- Distance: 5.1 kilometers (loop)
- Elevation Gain: 140 meters
- Duration: 1.5-2 hours
About Øyungen Lake
Øyungen lake, located on the northern side of Maridalen, is the perfect hike for adventurers of all ages. Although you’re on a well-maintained, gravel trail, you are completely immersed in nature, walking side by side the Skarselva River, which runs down to Maridalsvannet, Oslo’s main drinking water source.
Bring your canoe, kayak or paddleboard up to Øyungen Lake. There really is no limit to how far you and go and how many lakes you can explore in this region. Bring a tent and you can even paddle all the way to Hadeland.
Need more info on where to go hiking in Oslo? See our guide to the city’s best trails.
- Drive to the Skar parking lot at the end of Maridalsveien.
- Take bus 51 (Maridalen) from Nydalen to the "Skar" stop next to the parking lot.
From the parking lot, follow the gravel path 2.5 kilometers up the hill until you reach Øyungen lake. The trail is wide and very easy to manage for bikes, strollers, and adventurers of all ages and levels.
Follow the gravel road back down the same, or opposite side, of the river until you reach the parking lot back at Skar.
- There are lots of places to picnic or camp along the shores of the lake.
- The hike is child & stroller friendly
- Good cell coverage
- Pack water & snacks
Questions or comments? Let us know.