Explore the highest point along the mountain ridge
- Destination: Jotunheimen
- Season: June–November
- Difficulty: Expert
- Distance: 21.8 kilometers (out‑and‑back)
- Elevation Gain: 1,140 meters
- Duration: 7–9 hours
Sløtafjell, towering at 2,014 meters above sea level, is a demanding hike that starts near Bygdin Lake. It is located on the outskirts of Jotunheim National Park, in the southern area of the Jotunheimen mountain range.
Sløtafjell is the highest point of the mountain ridge. From the top, you'll get fantastic views of Eidsbugarden and Tyin as well as the mountains and landscape of southern Jotunheimen.
There are many hiking options for accessing the start of Slettmarkpiggen by foot. You can drive directly to Eidsbugarden or park your car at/ take public transportation to the eastern end of Bygdin Lake. And then take a boat to the starting point.
Directly to Eidsbugarden
Drive on Fillefjell (Lærdal - Fagernes), before exiting towards Tyin Lake and Eidsbugarden. Follow signs towards Eidsbugarden on the north side of Tyin Lake. Parking is available at Eidsbugarden.
Bus or car then boat to Eidsbugarden
From Oslo, take the NW161 Valdresekspressen route to the stop: “Bygdin”.
From Oslo, head north on E16, towards Bergen, for 185 kilometers. When you reach Fagernes, follow signs to road 51, towards Vågå/Beitostølen. Follow road 51 for another 50 kilometers until you reach Bygdin. Here you will find parking.
Boat to Eidsbugarden/ Fondsbu Mountain Hotel (the starting point)
Visit the JVB boat website for schedules and prices.
From Eidsbugarden/Fondsbu, hike towards Tyinholmen, until the red T-marked trail directs you towards Skogadalsbøen. Turn onto the path towards Sløtatjernet, located at 1,323 meters above sea level, in the westward direction. Continue west up the ridge, and further northwest before reaching the summit at 1,878 meters above sea level.
Return the same way you arrived, or hike on the backside of the mountain - returning to Eidsbugarden.
Where to stay
- Fondsbu Mountain Lodge is located on the western end of Bygdin Lake. It's a full-service DNT cabin with many events, music, and cultural events.
- Eidsbugarden Hotel is also located on the western end of Bygdin Lake. Visit their website for accommodation information and availability.
- Bygdin Fjellhotel is located at the eastern end of Bygdin Lake. Visit their website for accommodation information and availability.
- The Right to Roam law enables you to camp anywhere for free as long as you follow some basic guidelines. Read more.
Save and share
Find other popular adventures